About Helping Nature Heal Inc:
We are an award-winning ecological landscaping company that fosters ecological, economic, and community resilience in Nova Scotia and beyond. We are proud to be Nova Scotia’s leading-edge ecological restoration company creating sustainable solutions for land and shoreline environmental challenges.
Our designs bring unique beauty, healthy ecology, and re-connection with nature to property owners and communities. In all our work, we strive to rebuild ecosystem-based landscapes that become healthy, self-sustaining spaces for human interaction with nature. Our areas of expertise include restorative landscaping, living shorelines, ecological forestry, edible landscapes, organic gardening & specializes in sustainable ecosystem construction and stewardship methods that are customized for coastal areas of eastern Canada.
Notable projects include creating Living Shorelines for public lands in Nova Scotia and PEI, developing forest management and trail plans for private homeowners, designing and building the landscape for the first LEED Platinum Certified house in the Maritimes, and remediating a toxic site to create a community park in Petite Rivière, Nova Scotia.
Helping Nature Heal Inc. is
seeking an Assistant Stewardship Technician/Gardener who lives in the
Bridgewater area or is willing to relocate. The successful candidate will work
on new and existing projects on the South Shore of Nova Scotia. S/he must be
familiar with, or willing to learn, and consistently implement HNH’s unique
Reporting directly to the foreman/woman, this position is responsible for maintenance of projects
- Arrive at work prepared, on time and with all personal equipment in good working order
- Maintain efficiency & a high quality of work in various weather conditions
- Operate a variety of landscaping equipment in a safe manner including chipper, whipper snippers, hedge trimmers etc. as well as standard hand tools
- Work alongside Stewardship Foreman weeding, planting, pruning & maintaining gardens, shrubs, trees & various plants.
- Plant and maintain residential, institutional, and commercial gardens
- Communicate with and support team members to get the job done
- Take direction from Project Manager/Foreman & make needed changes in a timely manner
- Provide support as needed to The Nature Store, nursery & community events
Skills and Qualifications:
- Landscape Safety, Occupational Health and Safety, first aid, WHIMIS or equivalent safety education and training preferred
- Knowledge of landscape maintenance techniques and practices
- Excellent communicator who is capable of receiving, and executing instructions
- Ability to perform multiple job tasks efficiently while maintaining quality
- Dependable worker with initiative and motivation
- Capacity to learn quickly and retain information in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to work respectfully with a team while maintaining a positive attitude
- Physically fit, energetic, able to lift at least 50 lbs, and able to work in diverse weather conditions
- Flexible schedule
- Preference given to Co-op program and on the job training students
Bridgewater Nova Scotia and surrounding area.
Hours: 3-5 days per week, average 35 hours per week (hours vary from 20-60 hours per week depending on schedule and weather).
Wages start at $15/h with an extended health benefits package, wage increase and further training options available after a three month probation period. Company will cost-share benefits after one year.
April 19, 2019.*Please note: Applications will be reviewed as received; therefore, this position may be filled before closing date.
Anticipated Start date:
May 1, 2019 (possibly earlier if successful applicant is available)
How to apply:
Please provide your resume and a personalized cover letter as a PDF document to email@example.com. Only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.