THE LOHNES METHOD
We employ people, not machines.
We do the work by hand and with a loving and caring mindset. We hire our team members from both our local community and from away, which brings people to the East Coast.
We work consciously.
We work in a way to not cause harm to any resources and wildlife sharing the space. Whether we're building a raised vegetable garden or we're working on shoreline erosion management, we do this with the least amount of resources and impact on the environment.
We engage people and connect them to their land.
We help reconnect people to the places where they live, work and play in a manner that is sustainable and self-serving. We create sustainable partnership with the landowners so they can take care of their land and themselves, and the bigger picture of the planet as a whole.
“The land ethic simply enlarges the boundaries of the community to include soils, waters, plants, and animals, or collectively: the land….A land ethic, then, reflects the existence of an ecological conscience, and this in turn reflects a conviction of individual responsibility for the health of land.”
- Aldo Leopold
OUR CORE VALUES
- Develop sustainable, creative, and personalized ecosystem solutions.
- Create designs that enhance ecological function and restore human connection with nature.
- Observe and respond to the land.
- Build soil.
- Combine heritage skills with science and appropriate technology.
- Maximize people-power to minimize fossil fuel use and soil compaction.
- Source local, sustainable products and services.
- Share and build knowledge.
- Save, share, and replant heritage and organic seeds.
- Advocate for nature socially and politically.
- Contribute to community sustainability projects.
- Promote the use of native species
“Good for the Earth, good for people, share the surplus.”